Confirmed to Speak:
- Nicholas Paines QC, Law Commissioner for Public Law, The Law Commission
- Penny Simpson, Lead Partner for Environment, Freeths LLP
- Christopher Price, Director of Policy and Advice, CLA
- Sally Hayns, Chief Executive Officer, CIEEM
- Martin Harper, Conservation Director, RSPB
- Matt Shardlow, Chief Executive, Buglife
- Jim McClelland, Sustainability Consultant & Associate, Chelgate (Event Chair)
Wildlife protection and the sustainable management of our natural heritage have been some of the key policy aims of the current and previous Governments. However the legal framework for managing wildlife is extremely complex and reflects a range of interests.
In Nov 2016, the Government responded to the Law Commission’s recommendations for wildlife law reform whilst also stating, “Exit from the EU provides an opportunity to re-examine our regulatory framework and how it works, so that it is fit for purpose to meet our national needs in the future and fulfil our international obligations.”
Attend this Westminster Briefing event to get a better understanding of the current state of wildlife policy and discuss the next steps for wildlife law reform. This is an opportunity to hear examples of good practice and learn practical steps to take forward wildlife management in your area.
Key issues to be addressed:
- Comprehensive overview of the current state of wildlife policy
- What will the implications of EU exit be on wildlife policy?
- Understanding your existing rights & obligations
- Balancing domestic regulatory structures against international agreements & EU directives
- Tackling wildlife crime: reforming sanctions and compliance
- Current and future licensing requirements
- Using the current regulatory regime: best practice case studies
- Effective partnership working between regulators, local authorities, charities & other stakeholders
- The future of Wildlife Law: where is this all going?
Morning refreshments will be served upon arrival with a networking lunch to follow. Any special needs or dietary requirements should be notified to us upon booking.
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available confirming your attendance.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: William.Walker-Lane@westminster-briefing.com
Who should attend?
Delegates will be drawn mainly, but not exclusively, from areas responsible for environmental management including: developers, industrial operators, land owners & managers, charities, environmental consultants, enforcement authorities, Defra, local authorities and other practitioners.