Confirmed Speakers Include:
- Professor Les Ebdon CBE DL, Director of Fair Access to Higher Education
- Matt Clayton, Social Work Service Manager, Coventry City Council
- Sarah Young, Projects & Evaluation Officer, Become
- (Chair) Professor John Storan, Co-director, Action on Access & Director of Continuum, Centre for Widening Participation Policy Studies, University of East London
A key outcome of the Government’s most recent care leavers strategy is “improved access to education, employment & training”. It highlights how support for care leavers is now included in around 80% of university access agreements. While many HEIs put a lot of time, effort and resource into engaging & supporting care leavers, they remain an underrepresented group.
Join Westminster Briefing on 12 December for an up to date brief on supporting care leavers in higher education. We will examine individual HEIs’ responsibilities, Government strategy and what more can be done to build links with partners to better engage & support care leavers. You will learn from leading universities and share experiences & examples of successful practice you can take back and implement in your own institution.
Key issues to be addressed:
- Meeting commitments in access agreements
- Implementing the care leaver covenant
- The Government’s care leaver strategy & the role of HEIs
- Inspiring children in care to apply
- Accessing & providing financial support for care leavers
- LAs, schools & colleges: building links with the system through which care leavers have come
- Delivering a comprehensive offer: support from pre-application to post-graduation
- Understanding key intervention points & methods for providing help & support
- Supporting mature care leavers who are re-entering education
- Providing information to relevant staff on a student’s circumstances
- Sharing experiences & examples of successful practice
The morning session will examine individual HEIs’ responsibilities, Government strategy and what more can be done to build links with partners to better engage & support care leavers.
The afternoon session will focus on sharing experiences & examples of successful practice.
Who should attend?
Anyone with an interest in, or responsibility for, supporting care leavers, including: outreach & widening participation teams; student welfare & support; senior management; & students’ unions.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com |
0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org