- Nick Hillman (Chair), Director, Higher Education Policy Institute
- Jenny Shaw, Head of Student Services and Insight, Unite Students
- Anand Shukla, Chief Executive, Brightside
- Michelle Morgan, Associate Dean, Student Experience, Bournemouth University
- Dr Harriet Jones, Senior Lecturer & Director, PreUniversity Skills Programme, University of East Anglia
- Chris Ramsey, Headmaster, Whitgift School & Co-Chair, HMC Universities Committee
- Sean Russell, SFHEA, HE and LGBT+ Consultant and Founder, Get Out Stay Out
- Dr. Emily McIntosh, Director of Student Life, University of Bolton
According to a recent survey, less than 10% of students say their experience of higher education closely matches their prior expectations. This mismatch between expectation and reality can have a dramatic impact on student experience, retention and wellbeing.
Join Westminster Briefing on 31 January to discuss how best to prepare students for higher education and what more can be done to support them through the transition. We will examine actions leading institutions are already taking and discuss good practice examples that can be adapted to your own institution.
Key Issues to be Addressed Include:
- Managing expectations pre-university
- Tailoring communications to meet individual needs
- Raising awareness about what support will be available & how to access it
- The role of students’ unions & peer mentoring
- Working with schools & colleges
- Meeting the needs of non traditional students
- Providing financial, personal safety, and other types of advice & support
- Helping students adapt to HE & learn new study skills
- Facilitating social integration: helping students develop networks to avoid loneliness & isolation
- Communicating with parents & guardians
The morning will focus on preparing students for higher education before they begin their studies.
The afternoon will examine what more HEIs can do to support students through the transition process.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone with an interest in HE transitions, including those working in: widening participation & outreach; admissions; marketing; student services; health services & counselling; advice centres; student accommodation; & students' unions.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com |
0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: Calum.Ennis@westminster-briefing.com