Confirmed speakers include:
- Brian Lutchmiah, National Association of Disability Practitioners (event chair)
- Greg Boone, Disabled Students’ Allowances Team Leader, DfE
- Lesley O'Keeffe, Deputy Director, Academic & Student Services, Brunel University London
- Phil Scarffe, Registered Social Worker and Head of Student Welfare, De Montfort University
- Emrys Travis, Disabled Students' Officer, Cambridge University Students' Union
While a record number of students with disabilities are attending UK universities, they remain a disproportionately underrepresented group. While HEIs can be proud of how far they have come, more can be done to support disabled students throughout their university career. In terms of finances, the recent Evaluation of disabled students’ allowances suggested a mixed picture with only 40% hearing about DSAs before they started but 68% agreeing the 'DSAs support they received enabled them to participate more fully in their course'.
Join Westminster Briefing on 23 May to receive an up to date brief on supporting disabled students in higher education. We will examine the latest developments in DSAs and explore what more HEIs can do to enhance provision and create more inclusive learning environments.
Key issues to be covered include:
• Key lessons from the DSA evaluation and acting on the findings
• Designing facilities to be accessible
• Improving pre-application signposting to support
• Designing & delivering inclusive curriculums
• Changing teaching & learning cultures to promote inclusion
• Implementing alternative assessment models & processes
• Developing a whole institution approach
The event will be divided into three sessions:
1. Disabled Students’ Allowances
2. Enhancing Support Services
3. Creating Inclusive Learning Environments
Who should attend?
Anyone involved in supporting disabled students in HE, including: disability officers; student services & support; teaching, pedagogy & course leads; D&I teams; registry; and students’ unions.
Morning refreshments will be served upon arrival with a networking lunch to follow. Any special needs or dietary requirements should be notified to us upon booking.
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available confirming your attendance.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.firstname.lastname@example.org | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: email@example.com