- Caroline Sutton, Senior Advisor, Sustainable Places and Systems, Environment Agency
- James Harris, Policy and Networks Manager, Royal Town Planning Institute
- John Alker, Director of Policy and Places, UK Green Building Council
- Sarah Young, Director, Planning, LUC
- Matt Ellis, Climate Resilience Officer, Greater Manchester Combined Authority
(seconded from the Environment Agency)
- Dr Tom Knowland, Head of Sustainable Energy & Climate Change, Leeds City Council
- Jeff Laidler, Head of Sustainability, London Borough of Enfield
- Jim McClelland, Editor, SustMeme (event chair)
Climate change is undoubtedly the greatest long-term challenge facing people and wildlife - its impact will be felt nationwide for generations to come. It is essential that planning reflects the realities of climate change, and the built environment sector must be prepared and responsive to inevitable geographical and environmental changes.
Attend this Westminster Briefing event to get a comprehensive overview of current policy and best practice when it comes to planning for and mitigating climate change.
Key Issues to be Addressed:
- Legal and policy requirements for local authorities and other stakeholders to mitigate against and adapt to climate change
- Impact of the revised National Planning Policy Framework and viability assessments
- The role of strategic, spatial, local and neighbourhood planning
- Guidance on plan-making for adaptation to and mitigation against climate change
- Planning for and developing green infrastructure
- Development in areas subject to flood risk or coastal erosion
- Good practice in mitigating against climate change
- Innovative approaches that can contribute to reducing carbon dioxide emissions and improving energy efficiency
- Identifying suitable areas for renewable energy generation and its supporting infrastructure
- Effective adaptation measures
- Barriers to effective local action and how to overcome them
About the Event:
The morning session will focus on current and emerging policy and guidance when it comes to planning and developing with a focus on climate change adaptation.
The afternoon session will explore local good practice examples of climate change preparation, adaptation and planning from around the country.
Morning refreshments will be served upon arrival with a networking lunch to follow. Any special needs or dietary requirements should be notified to us upon booking.
Who should attend?
Delegates will be drawn from anyone with an interest in planning for climate change, such as Heads of Spatial Planning; Spatial Planning Managers; Heads of Development Management; Heads of Strategic Growth; Heads of Planning and Regeneration; Principal Planning Officers; Senior Planning Officers; Planning Policy Officers; Sustainable Development Officers; Public Health Managers; Environmental Services Managers; Public Realm Managers.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com or call 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: Dominic.Leigh@dodsgroup.com
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available confirming your attendance.