Confirmed speakers include:
- Nick Atkinson, Head of Local Authority Housing, MHCLG
- Mark Baigent, Independent Housing Consultant
- Stephen Pearson, Partner, Freeths LL
- Carl Brazier, Director of Housing, Stoke City Council
- Steve Partridge, Director, Savills Housing Consultancy
- Janice Morphet, Visiting Professor, Bartlett School of Planning, UCL (chair)
- Cllr Danny Beales, Cabinet Member For Investing in Communities, London Borough of Camden
The cap on local authority borrowing has been cited as one of the key reasons for the shortfall in new housing completions and its recent removal has been welcomed by council leaders and the wider building industry alike. With the emphasis now on councils to deliver, and complex challenges remaining, what are the next steps for local authority house building?
Join Westminster Briefing on Thursday 28 February for an up to date brief on latest Government policy and to examine the practical actions local authorities need to take to build new homes.
Key issues to be addressed include:
- Government policy & funding to support councils build new homes
- Removing the borrowing cap and the impact on local authorities’ ability to access financing
- Conducting an initial feasibility study
- Different delivery models for house building and choosing the right one
- Identifying and working with partners: the role of builders, developers & housing associations
- Identifying & securing sites where new housing can be built
- Anticipating & overcoming potential barriers
- Expanding existing projects and planning to deliver at the required scale
- Learning from the experience of councils who already have a successful track record
- The importance of political support
- Right to Buy and wider policy measures impacting decision making
About the day:
The morning session will focus on Government policy, accessing funding, determining feasibility and the different delivery models under which new local authority homes can be built.
The afternoon session will cover finding & securing sites, anticipating & overcoming potential barriers and learning from existing successful practice.
Morning refreshments will be served upon arrival with a networking lunch to follow. Any special needs or dietary requirements should be notified to us upon booking.
Who should attend?
Anyone with an interest in local authority house building, including: local authority officers & members; builders & developers; housing association & ALMOs; surveyors; and representative groups.
Our events are CPD certified. This event is equivalent to 3 CPD points.
A certificate is available on request post-event to all attendees.
Please note that all speakers and the agenda are subject to change without notice.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: William.Egan@dodsgroup.com.