- Dr Janice Morphet, Visiting Professor, Bartlett School of Planning, University College London; Author of "Local Authority Direct Provision of Housing" (December 2017)
- More speakers TBC
Recent research found that 65% of local authorities are directly engaged in housing delivery themselves. The motivations for this are varied, but it is likely that more local authorities will look to become involved in housing delivery given the pressures on council finances and the need to raise additional funding to support local services through income generation.
Join Westminster Briefing on 6 March 2018 to hear about the potential benefits for your local authority of getting more involved in housing delivery, how to overcome the obstacles to this and current best practice in local authority housebuilding.
Key Issues to be Addressed Include:
- The scale of direct provision of housing by local authorities
- Benefits for local authorities of getting more involved in house building
- Accessing different sources of funding
- The powers are available to local authorities and how to use them effectively
- Effective partnership working between different public sector organisations to use public land to help deliver new housing
- Different development vehicles: ALMOs, joint ventures and local housing companies
- Good practice in local authority house building
- Managing risk and getting the governance arrangements right
- Generating income to reinvest in local services
- Meeting the housing needs of local people
The morning will focus on how to overcome obstacles to local authority involvement in housing delivery and will cover the powers and funding available to councils.
The afternoon session will examine a number of best practice case studies of local authorities who are actively engaged in housing delivery.
Morning refreshments will be served upon arrival with a networking lunch to follow. Any special needs or dietary requirements should be notified to us upon booking.
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available confirming your attendance.
Who Should Attend?
Representatives from local authority housing and planning departments, who are interested in supporting housing development in their area.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: Dominic.Leigh@dodsgroup.com