Confirmed to Speak:
- Muna Ahmad, Senior Policy Advisor, DEFRA
- Allison Ogden-Newton, Chief Executive, Keep Britain Tidy
- Harry Garnham, Litter Policy, Highways England
- Cllr Wendy Schmitt, Deputy Leader of the Council & Cabinet Member for Environment & Place, Braintree Council
- David Bryce-Smith, Deputy Director of Public Realm, London Borough of Bexley & Representative, CIWM
- Jonathan Gibbon, Senior Project Manager - Litter and Place Services Team, Keep Britain Tidy
- Jim McClelland, Sustainability Consultant & Associate, Chelgate (Event Chair)
Litter is a significant issue facing the Government, local authorities, charities, and individuals across the country. The problem, however, is not simply an aesthetic one; the burden of clean-up costs alone cost the taxpayer almost £800m a year.
In response, the Government has released the first ever Litter Strategy for England. The Strategy issues new guidance, and offers sweeping proposals to tackle littering across the country. Attend this Westminster Briefing to gain a comprehensive overview of the Litter Strategy from DEFRA and discover what it means for you and your area. Explore good practice from across the country and take practical ideas back to your setting.
Key Issues to be Addressed Include:
- Comprehensive overview of the Litter Strategy for England
- Preparing for increased fixed penalties for littering and related offences
- Updating ‘binfrastructure’ in your area with creative designs and better distribution
- Targeting the worst litter hotspots and delivering long-lasting improvements
- Good practice in education and infrastructure to reduce litter and littering behaviours
- Improving the use of enforcement powers proportionately and appropriately
The morning session will provide you with a comprehensive overview of the new Litter Strategy for England from DEFRA, and what this means for you.
The afternoon session will explore current good practice in litter enforcement, education and infrastructure from around the country. This session will be highly interactive, and will provide you with practical guidance to take back and implement in your organisation.
Morning refreshments will be served upon arrival with a networking lunch to follow. Any special needs or dietary requirements should be notified to us upon booking.
Who Should Attend?
Environmental Service Managers; Enforcement Officers; Area Coordinators; Recycling and Waste Officers; Community Engagement Officers; Environmental Education Officers; Environmental & Sustainabillity Officers; Community Safety Managers; Waste Contract Managers; Street Care Managers; Environmental Resource Managers; Service Managers; Environmental Health Managers and anybody with an interest in keeping their area litter-free.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: William.Walker-Lane@westminster-briefing.com
The event is CPD certified, and a certificate is available confirming your attendance.