Ethnicity-related disparities in UK student outcomes persist. Headline figures showing a proportional rise in UK-domiciled BAME students starting first degrees are to be welcomed but should not mask remaining disparities in access for specific minority ethnic groups.
Additionally, while regulated HEIs will have Access & Participation Plans in place from 2019-2020 (replacing current Access Agreements), recent OfS-commissioned research into ethnicity targeting found that “targeting is largely focussed on outreach and access interventions. Targeted interventions in relation to retention and success are few and those related to progression almost non-existent”.
Join Westminster Briefing on Tuesday 5th November for an up to date brief on improving BAME student outcomes. We will examine culturally competent support services and curricula, hearing highlights of good practice and clear practical steps for universities to take to improve outcomes for BAME students in four key areas:
- The transition
- Progression and employability
Key issues to be covered include:
- Identifying specific underrepresented groups & targeting support towards them
- Culturally competent curricula and inclusive student services
- Training staff to improve understanding & awareness
- Collaborating with BAME students to understand their experiences and develop interventions
- Placements, work experience and internship programmes
- Proactive actions to promote further
- Exploring conversations about race study
Who Should Attend?
Anyone with an interest in improving BAME student outcomes, including: access, participation & outreach teams; equality & diversity offices; student welfare/wellbeing/support teams; teaching & learning; careers advice & guidance; & students' unions.
Our events are CPD certified. This event is equivalent to 3 CPD points.
A certificate is available on request post-event to all attendees.
Please note that all speakers and the agenda are subject to change without notice.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657