- John Hobson QC, Barrister, Landmark Chambers
- David Smith, Policy Director, Residential Landlords Association
- Martin Yardley, Deputy Chief Executive (Place), Coventry City Council
- Cllr Carole Hegley, Executive Member for Social Care, Housing Operations & Customer Services, Central Bedfordshire Council
- Fiona Anthony, Professional Support Lawyer, nplaw
- Cllr Mark Dance, Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Economic Development, Kent County Council
- Anthony Mousdale, Housing Co-ordinator, Liverpool City Council
- Cllr Ric Pallister, Leader, South Somerset District Council (event chair)
In March the Government announced it was bringing forward new legislation to allow councils to charge double the rate of Council Tax on homes left empty for years. Estimates suggest there are 200,000 long-term empty properties across the country.
Join Westminster Briefing on 24th July for an up-to-date brief on the Rating (Property in Common Occupation) & Council Tax (Empty Dwellings) Bill and to examine best practice in bringing empty properties back into use by utilising the existing powers available to local authorities.
Key Issues to be Addressed Include:
- Rating (Property in Common Occupation) & Council Tax (Empty Dwellings) Bill
- Current powers and funding available to address empty properties
- Using legal powers, such as Empty Dwelling Management Orders and Compulsory Purchase Orders, to bring empty homes back into use
- Good Practice in Bringing Empty Homes Back into Use
- The main barriers in the current system and how to overcome them
- Putting together an effective Empty Properties Strategy
- Identifying empty homes
- Liaising with individual owners to understand why their property is long-term empty and what has been holding them back from renting or selling it
- Deciding when to use incentives or enforcement
- Effective partnership working through local Empty Homes Forums and Housing Partnerships
The morning will focus on recent policy and legal developments affecting empty properties.
The afternoon will examine best practice in bringing empty homes back into use.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone with an interest in empty properties, including local government officers, lawyers and property owners.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: Dominic.Leigh@dodsgroup.com