- Timothy Straker QC, Joint Head of Chambers, 4-5 Gray’s Inn Square
- Mark Heath, Returning Officer, Southampton City Council
- Mick Styne, Elections and Local Land Charges Manager, Derby City Council
- Penny Housley, Senior Manager, Democratic Services and Deputy Returning Officer, Cheshire West and Chester Council
- Dr Alistair Clark, Senior Lecturer in Politics, Newcastle University (event chair)
- More speakers TBC
Elections are a vital part of our democracy and the public rightly expects them to be well administered. When problems occur like in some parts of the country during the 2017 General Election, this can lead to voters being disenfranchised through no fault of their own. Such cases are by no means commonplace, but highlight the importance of effective administration of elections.
Join our 2018 Electoral Administration Briefing on 18th September to examine the lessons from recent elections, learn from best practice and prepare for the future.
Key Issues to be Addressed Include:
- Observable trends from recent elections and how electoral administrators should respond to these changes
- The impact of Voter ID Trials
- Changes impacting the administration of upcoming elections
- Measures to modernise the electoral registration process
- Recent developments in election law
- Good practice in tackling electoral fraud
- Managing workloads during the busy campaign period
- Running an efficient polling day and election count
- Communicating effectively with political parties and candidates, the public and other stakeholders
The morning session will identify the lessons that can be learned by electoral administrators from recent elections. It will also prepare the ground for future elections by looking at changes due to be implemented in forthcoming elections.
The afternoon session will examine best practice in electoral administration and tackling electoral fraud.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone with an interest in electoral administration and tackling electoral fraud, including Heads of Electoral Services, Electoral Services Managers, Heads of Governance and Democratic Services, Returning Officers and Heads of Electoral Administration.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: Dominic.Leigh@dodsgroup.com