Confirmed to Speak:
- Michael Allured MBE, Children in Care and Permanence/Care Leavers’ Team, DfE
- David Barrett, Assistant Director, Fair Access and Participation, Office for Students
- Sam Turner, Voice & Influencing Manager, Become Charity
- Arron Pile, Student Inclusion & Diversity Manager, University of Salford
- Beth Taswell, Access and Support Officer Kingston University
- Liz Ferguson, Outreach Officer, University of East Anglia
- Jade Bytheway, Widening Participation Coordinator (Vulnerable Groups), Sheffield Hallam University
- Patricia Walker (event chair), Visiting Professor, University of West London
- Further speakers tba
Care leavers in higher education have emerged as an area of focus for the Government and the new Office for Students. Now is the time for universities and their partners to take a deeper look at how to close gaps in access and participation for this group.
Attend this timely Westminster Briefing for an update on the Office for Students’ plans in this area, plus the latest on the Care Leaver Strategy. The event will provide an opportunity to hear from leading universities how they are building comprehensive support offers.
Key issues to be addressed include:
- Role of Office for Students: care leavers as a target group for Fair Access
- The Government’s care leaver strategy & the responsibilities of HEIs
- Creating smooth and supported pathways to HE
- Giving care leavers a voice
- Addressing barriers to student success
About the day:
The morning session will look at the current policy landscape and examine individual HEIs’ responsibilities, including what more can be done to build links with partners.
The afternoon session will focus on sharing experiences and examples of successful practice, specifically around peer-mentoring and addressing drop-out rates.
Who should attend?
Anyone with an interest in, or responsibility for, supporting care leavers, including: outreach & widening participation teams; student welfare & support; senior management; & students’ unions.
The event is CPD certified. A certificate is available after the event.
For registration enquiries please contact:
Customer.email@example.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org