Confirmed to Speak:
- Michael Allured MBE, Children in Care and Permanence/Care Leavers’ Team, DfE
- David Barrett, Assistant Director, Fair Access and Participation, Office for Students
- (Chair) Patricia Walker, Visiting Professor, University of West London
- Further speakers tba
With the new Office for Students receiving direction from Government to focus on care leavers as a group with stubbornly significant gaps in access and participation, now is the time for Universities and their partners to be taking a deeper look at how they engage and support that group.
Attend this timely Westminster Briefing for an update on the Office for Students’ plans in this area, plus the latest on the Care Leaver Strategy. Hear from sector experts and leading universities how they are building comprehensive support offers, from pre-application through to post-graduation, and discuss challenges with HEIs dealing with the same issues you face.
Key Issues to be Addressed Include:
- Role of Office for Students: care leavers as a target group for Fair Access
- The Government’s care leaver strategy & the responsibilities of HEIs
- Meeting commitments in access agreements
- Pro-active steps to reducing non-continuation rates
- Creating smooth and supported pathways to HE
- Giving care leavers a voice
- Addressing barriers to student success
- Successful peer-mentoring programmes
- Inspiring children in care to apply
The morning session will look at the current policy landscape and examine individual HEIs’ responsibilities, including what more can be done to build links with partners.
The afternoon session will focus on sharing experiences and examples of successful practice, specifically around peer-mentoring and addressing drop-out rates.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone with an interest in, or responsibility for, supporting care leavers, including: outreach & widening participation teams; student welfare & support; senior management; & students’ unions.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.Services@westminster-briefing.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: email@example.com