Confirmed speakers include:
- David Graham, National Director, The Care Leaver’s Association
- Val Naylor, Executive Headteacher, Newham Virtual School for Looked After Children
- Tom Redfearn, Senior Public Affairs Officer, Children's Society
- Richard Haigh, Assistant Director – Impact (Care / Leaving Care), Directorate of Impact & Learning, Barnardo's
- Thomas Anderson, Virtual School PA for Care Leavers, Hertfordshire Virtual School
- Lisa Cherry, Author and Speaker (event chair)
- Further speakers TBC
With the Local Offer for Care Leavers now in place since the Children and Social Work Act 2017; the government has release new statutory guidelines to enable local authorities to effectively implement the changes required. These include the introduction of personal advisors up until the age of 25 and Virtual School Heads for young people leaving care.
Join this Westminster Briefing in June to hear how you will be able to input these substantial changes. Understand your duties to care leavers and discuss with peers on the best approach to deliver an effective service for young people moving toward independent living.
Key issues to be addressed:
- Personal advisors for care leavers: duties and obligations
- Applying corporate parenting principles to care leavers up until age 25
- The role of personal advisors from age 21 onwards
- Undertaking proportionate needs assessments for each care leaver and providing pathway plans
- The roles and duties of the Virtual School Head
- Ensuring that there are effective arrangements in place to work with a range of professionals
- Keeping in touch and collecting data
- Approach to take in implementing the new duties
- Action to take in preparation for the new duties
The morning sessions will look at the statutory duties relating to personal advisors and education and how best to implement them in local authorities.
The afternoon session will explore best practice; how local authorities have already implemented the duties and what you can do to further benefit young people as they move from care to independent living.
Who Should Attend?
Delegates will be drawn from: local authority children's services, children’s social care teams, social workers, leaving care teams, youth services, safeguarding teams, educational institutions, virtual schools, residential care homes; employment and training officers, CAMHS services, voluntary organisations, and anyone with an interest in improving outcomes for vulnerable children leaving care.
For registration enquiries please contact: Customer.email@example.com | 0207 593 5657
To discuss event sponsorship, speaking opportunities and agenda content, please email: Oliver.firstname.lastname@example.org